Seeing that a large percentage of the emails I receive have to do with relationships, I decided to make the following list of do's and do not's when engaging in any type of relationship with Thai women (or any other women).
Allow me to make this simple:
1. Think with the big head, or your brain, as opposed to the little head.
2. Have fun. This is as simple as it gets, at least for some men.
3. Keep your expectations in check. Do you really think you're going to come to Thailand for two weeks and find the girl of your dreams in Pattaya?
4. Don't put the cart before the horse. If you're only on your second date, the last thing you need to think about is whether or not her family is going to ask for a million-baht sin-sod.
5. Trust is earned in due time, whether online or off. Don't kid yourself.
6. There are women out there who will kick you to the curb without giving it a second thought. Believe it. Be prepared for this, emotionally and otherwise.
7. Keep your mouth shut, ask enlightening questions, and let the relationship unfold without your influential input. In other words, sit back and watch. There is absolutely no reason to tell a woman you're willing to take care of her or give her 20,000-baht a month when you first meet. This might be the hook they need to let you reel them in.
8. She might be great looking, but if she's a bitch, all bets are off. Better to find a woman a little less attractive with positive traits than a smoking hot lady who has poor character. You can always sleep with them hotty then get rid of her.
9. Would you put her on a pedestal if she stole $100K of your hard-earned money? There is no reason to put a man or woman on a pedestal. We’re all human and once you put someone above you, they’re looking down at you.
10 . Women can be brutal, even more mercenary than men. Believe this.
11. Ignore questions and comments about money for as long as possible. This does not mean you need to confront the woman and state, "I'm no ATM so don't think you're going to get any dough out of me."
12. If the woman is truly into you, she will make attempts to keep the relationship alive. If she's not calling for months at a time, what does that tell you?
13. You and you alone have the key to the safe. Unless you throw a wad of cash on the nightstand, give her the pin number to your ATM, or allow her to become a guardian of your estate, your new girlfriend has no way to pillage your coiffures and leave you destitute. Most men who end up broke because of a woman do so because they allowed themselves to be manipulated.
14. If you're going to give, only give as much as you can afford to lose.
15. Men in Thailand are expected TO BE MEN. This means you call the shots. However, this does not mean that the woman will forever be passive and never want her say. Those men who are of the mindset that since they’re paying, they are the boss, might be in for a surprise. Many Thai women nowadays would rather be single and working, with less money, than be in a relationship with a man using money as a tool to control them. The number of men who email me thinking they can come to Thailand, throw around a relatively small amount of money, and get the girl of their dreams is astounding. What’s even more astounding is how they think that for $500 or $1000 a month the women will accept and do anything while never, ever complaining. All I can say is, don’t count on it.
Available on Amazon
in Print and Kindle formats