Immigration Changes (August 2016)
New Police Order 327/2557 effective August 29, 2014
Order of the Immigration Bureau - No. 138/2557
Subject: Supporting documents for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand
Order of the Immigration Bureau - No. 327/2557
Subject: Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand"
New orders are a revision of the previous police order with changes only done to the following clauses.
Clause 2.4 - In the case of tourism purposes.
Adds visa exempt entries to this clause that was only for tourist visa entries before. A 30 day extension will be allowed.
Clause 2.7 - In the case of a teacher, professor, expert or educational personnel in a private educational institution:
Adds the following:
Educational Personnel is: Person performing librarian, guidance, educational technology, registration and evaluation, general administration, supporter of education as specified by the Private Education Commission
Also adds the following under Criteria for Consideration.
(4) In case of educational personnel, the alien must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed
10 percent of total teachers or instructors in a particular education institution.
There is a significant change under this clause of 138/2557 verses 305/2551 for supporting documents. This should make it much easier when changing jobs.
3. Copy of work permit or application form in case of changing institution of teaching during the validity of work permit.
Clause 2.9 - In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution:
This is the most common extension for attending a school. It is possible that language schools may fall under these changes.
(2) In case of non-formal school, each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, for no more than 90 days, total length of stay shall not exceed one year from the date of entering the Kingdom.
Types of non-formal school are such as religion, arts and sports, vocational, tutoring and skill development school as specified by the Private Education Commission.
Also: Announcement from the Private Education Commission
Subject: Types and nature of schools, teaching management and curriculum of non-formal school dated on 12 February 2009
· Religious school: a school established by sole purpose of teaching religion
· Art and Sports school: a school established to provide education of music, art and sports
· Vocational school: a school established to provide vocational skills to be applied to further carrier or as an additional skill for learners
· Tutoring school: a school established to provide additional knowledge parrarel to the general education curriculum
Skill Development school: established to develop talents, ideas and other skills of learners
Clause 2.18 - That is for extension based upon marriage to a Thai or being the parent of a Thai child. The following has been added to (5) which the criteria for being a parent.
"In case the father or mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."
It is not clear what this will mean. It apparently will be done on a case by case basis because it was inserted before this statement in the original order..
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis."
Clause 2.20 - For dependent extensions for family members those that have extension.under various clauses of the police order.
Adds dependents of those that an have non immigrant visas that end with an " A". Such as the non immigrant OA (long stay) visa which is the most common under this category..
This has also been added under the criteria.(5) "and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother"
An additional list of supporting documents for this change has been added to 138/2557
Clause 2.25 - For medical extensions.
Adds the following.and an additional criteria for them.
B. In case of receiving medical treatment for applicant from Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Arab Emirates and other countries as announced by the Ministry of Interior, the attendant of such applicant is exempted from visa issuance.
Supporting documents for this change has been added to 138/2557 also.
Clause 2.26 - In the case of litigation or court proceedings:
Add the following under criteria.
(2) The applicant does not behave in such a way that indicating his intention to stay longer."
Clause 2.32 - In case of a sport visitor or athletic personnel:
Minimum salary of 40,000 baht.
This clause has also been added to 138/2557 for supporting documents.