Bang are not legally married. Thus, she is unable to sign the form for him. The hospital was going to discharge Bang, apparently with a catheter remaining in him - in his penis - infection and septicemia were a distinct possibility. Dangerous and certainly not pleasant. Ooy was worried he would yank the thing out and bleed to death.
In an effort to get Bang is national ID card, I called an organization in Chinatown (Poh Teck Tung). Unfortunately, they told me to have his wife to go to the police station and have them handle the matter. She has already tried this and they will not or can not do anything.
It looked like he was going to be stuck with a catheter and we were at a dead end. Rod Dyachenko, Valeria, and I were trying to accept that this is life in Thailand and unless we got lucky, there was not much more we could do for him. We brought Ooy a phone on Monday and told her to call anytime. She called. and to be honest, I was apprehensive about answering her call, fearful of what she had to say.
"Tomorrow morning, the doctor will operate," Ooy said. "I told the doctor Bang has no family other than me. He felt sorry for him and decided to proceed with the procedure without a signature."
As is often the case, the older a person gets, the more injuries and illnesses that pile up. Not only does Bang have a urinary problem, he also has some signs of mental illness or dementia. I'm no doctor but I know enough to know something isn't right with him upstairs. Then, of course, he has two legs permanently bent. But for now, the most serious issue is being handled. He is supposed to be released sometime in the next week. Then, once he's up to it, we'll have him seen by an orthopedic specialist and possibly get him some physical therapy. Everything is tentative and subject to change — for now, let's just hope he feels better after his surgery.
UPDATE (AS OF 7:30PM - THURSDAY EVENING)
Just received more news from Ooy. The doctor checked Bang over today and determined he was too weak to perform the surgery. He has no strength at all right now and can barely move. Obviously not good but the doctor is going to see how he feels in another three days and with any luck, will do the surgery.